If you’re a business owner in Minnesota, you will want to take some time to look at the recent legislative changes that will substantially affect your operations. The new laws include provisions on mandatory paid leave for employees, franchise agreements, non-compete agreements, employer-sponsored meetings, legalization of marijuana, and much more. While these changes are aimed at providing more protections for workers, they could also have an impact on the bottom line of small businesses. It’s important to stay informed and be proactive in adapting to these changes in order to maintain a healthy business. But don’t worry, we’re all in this together and there are resources available to help navigate these changes. Let’s continue supporting each other and keeping our community thriving!
Continue to check back here for more updates as we receive more information
- Timeline: Brief overview of when all the new employer provisions are set to take effect
- June 5th On-demand webinar: Overview of labor law changes featuring Department of Labor and Industry Commissioner Nicole Blissenbach. Please note that when you click on the link, you will be required to register and enter the passcode listed. On-demand webinar: Overview of labor law changes – Passcode: MNChamber2023!
- June 12th Workplace Management Policy Committee Meeting: An “on background” deeper dive into the June 5th Overview webinar. Please note this is a “moment in time” recording and the Department is still in the process of formalizing their guidance and FAQ documents. WMPC Meeting Recording – Passcode: !4v24hUg
- June 28 On-demand webinar with the new DEED Commissioner Matt Varilek: This webinar will cover a combination of topics – from new resource opportunities through business and workforce grants to key information about the state’s new Paid Family and Medical Leave program – all within the oversight of DEED. We will distribute this webinar to Committee members once it has been recorded.
- 2023 Voting Record: The Chamber tracks hundreds of bills during each legislative session, to ensure that policymakers understand how their proposals impact Minnesota’s economy and the state’s ability to make Minnesota a more affordable place to live, work, grow and expand a business. The Chamber scores votes on bills or amendments that illustrate this impact. The following votes were cast in the 2023 legislative session. Click to view how your legislators voted this session on top business issues.
- Chamber Blog: Please earmark the Chamber’s “What Happened in the 2023 Session? A Business Guide to New Law Changes.” This page will continue to be updated with helpful information and resources.
- 2023 legislative changes impacting the work of DLI: dli.mn.gov/business/codes-and-laws/laws-and-rules
- Sick and Safe Time homepage: dli.mn.gov/sick-leave
- Women’s Economic Security Act homepage: dli.mn.gov/newparents
- MDH’s related Breastfeeding Friendly Workplaces designation page: www.health.state.mn.us/people/breastfeeding/recognition/index.html. Becoming designated (relatively easy) is a great way for employers to know they are in compliance.
- DEED’s Paid Family and Medical Leave homepage: https://mn.gov/deed/programs-services/paid-family/
- DLI’s posters and notices page. This page, using this same URL, will be updated very soon with links to the new notices and posters: dli.mn.gov/posters
- Office of Cannabis Management: https://cannabis.state.mn.us
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights: https://mn.gov/mdhr/employers/
Additional Business Resources: