Something from Mary!
Hutchinson Residents are Needed More Than Ever to #thinkLOCAL
As we prepared for Main Street 2020 for two and a half years, we never imagined a virus could spread across the world, threatening lives and bank accounts, and sending some of us home from work for weeks at a time.
We planned for each business and building owner to have information at their fingertips, considered carefully how to spend precious dollars on marketing and billboards, and how to keep businesses open during construction season. How could anyone prepare for the extension of lost business before the equipment began to move?
But here we are. Equipment has been rolled into position, roads closed, and Main Street is closed to through traffic. And COVID-19 is still here. Businesses need YOU. More specifically…your friends, neighbors and family members need YOU… to spend your dollars LOCALLY.
Local businesses are owned and operated by people YOU know and care about.
I am asking you to:
- Spend your dollars locally with businesses who have adjusted their hours, services, and routine to manage both virus and construction
- Shop online at LOCAL stores and shops
- Spend your dollars locally, instead of driving out of town
- Support the businesses that donate to your child’s activities and events
- Attend sales and downtown events this summer when it is safe
- When using large online sites-choose their donation options; they’ll donate to a local non-profit of your choice
I’d like you to consider:
- That cute store downtown has an owner trying to raise their family here.
- The restaurant staff donate time and food to other organizations.
- Businesses in our community pay a significant portion of the taxes in our city and county. Taxes pay for law enforcement, roads/streets, and many other amenities we take for granted every day.
- The service business owner brought their family back to Hutchinson to be part of a true community.
- The place just around the corner; the owner moved from another community because they felt welcome here.
- That place down the street is run by someone who is managing cancer, and now Covid, and road construction.
- The salon owner is not going to sit down for weeks once social distancing is lifted. Be kind when you cannot get in right away. Oh, and don’t get your own bangs.
- ·Put your dollars where your heart is. Hutchinson is an incredible community, which I and my family have lived for almost 19 years. We came because of a job. We stayed because of the #HutchinsonHeart. You know…. the community that steps up when there is a cancer fundraiser for a family battling disease and bills, and answers the call when a neighbor needs help. The community that griefs together when a child has died, or when people go missing. The city that populates hearts on windows, sidewalks, driveways and signs when a virus threatens. The community that has made thousands of sewn fabric masks to give to those on the front lines, and hands out food, while it snows, to people who line up for blocks. The community that creates a parade to celebrate someone during 100 years young.
This is Hutchinson.
Next year the road will be complete, we’ll be able to shake hands and hug. Let’s each do our part to make sure everyone is there with us when we come back together.
Put your money where your heart is.
spendLOCAL shopLOCAL thinkLOCAL loveLOCAL
This is where you can find updated information on:
- If you have information that should be on these pages, PLEASE let us know and we will get it updated. Please share these resources with staff and friends!
Main Street 2020
You may have noticed the hustle and bustle downtown over the last few weeks. The Main Street 2020 project is in full swing! This is a great opportunity to get out, walk, get some fresh air and enjoy watching the progress! Please remember to follow all detours and view from a safe distance.
Find more about the plan, detours, parking, and construction
updated every Friday here.
Dairy Day- CANCELED
For the health and well being of our community, Dairy Day has been postponed until June 4, 2021.
The Agri- Business Committee works diligently to support the Agriculture Community. Although Dairy Day will not take place this year, the committee is working on additional support for our producers.
We encourage everyone to thank a farmer, be safe for farmers and give them room on the roads as they travel from field to field planting next year’s food for our tables.
If you know a farmer struggling with the overwhelming work, COVID crisis and the strains of current Ag. issues, please provide them with the support number for free and confidential counseling.
Minnesota Farm & Rural Helpline is available 24/7
833-600-2670 FREE & CONFIDENTIAL
May Business of the Month
Oakdale Golf Club is located southwest of Hutchinson on beautiful Lake Allie. Mike and Laura Knodel own the course and if there is one thing they would like you to know, it’s that everyone is welcome. This 18 hole course is open to the public and also features a driving range. Not a golfer? That’s okay. Enjoy a meal at Chip Shots Grill & Bar. Chip Shots Grill & Bar is open to the public.
55106 Co Rd 38, Buffalo Lake, MN 55314
Take a drone tour of the course here
See the Chip Shots menu here
*Currently Chip Shots is doing take out on Friday and Saturday evenings from 5pm-7pm.
Learn more about Oakdale Golf Club and Chip Shots Grill & Bar here.
Canceled for May
Canceled for May
Please check back for June’s 2020 Event updates. As we all know, the current situation is ever-changing. We will do our very best to communicate changes with you.