Why is there TOURISM in Hutchinson, and what does it mean?
Why do we promote our beautiful, engaged community, to people in other towns and states, explore our green and luscious parks, experience our welcoming hometown charm, and enjoy the scenic, active and sweet town we call home?
In 2005 the Chamber merged with the Hutchinson Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB), and from that point on, it has been part of this chamber’s mission to bring people to Hutchinson. As defined by City Ordinance, our work includes, but is not limited to promotion of Hutchinson as a tourist destination, meeting and convention location, shopping/eating/lodging and all of the area activities. We bring people TO Hutchinson.
Wait… I said City Ordinance, but we are not part of the city. The CVB portion of our business is funded through Lodging Tax, which is collected by the city, and passed to us. This money does not co-mingle with Chamber funds, and can only be used for Tourism efforts.
You may see billboards, trucks, posters, magazine advertising, and visitor guides throughout Minnesota with our ExploreHutchinson.com #MuchInHutch logo. These are just a few of the things we do to help bring people to Hutchinson. It’s obvious our tourism work affects lodging properties, restaurants, retail and various service oriented businesses, so I asked some Hutchinson business owners and managers about how tourism affects their non-tourism business, here is what they said:
- “It gives people the chance to get to know our community, participate and meet others they normally wouldn’t meet. That is good for everyone.”
- “It gives business owners the opportunity to reach out to new members in our community and find out what is important to them. We can gear our campaigns towards what is important.”
- “We need a constant influx of new people, ideas, and change in order to continue to be a vibrant community.”
- “I love that it helps our city continue to grow and prosper. While it doesn’t affect my business directly, seeing the city so vibrant, does.”
- “Living in a town I am proud of and am glad to have one of our businesses located here and making a positive difference in the lives of our customers and staff. For them and for all of us, having events and amenities that brings people to town makes this a great place for all of us to live.”
If a visitor stopped you on the street and asked you what there is to do in Hutchinson, What would you answer?
I asked a few people, and here is what they said:
- “How much time do you have? Water Carnival, Center for the Arts, parks, the Luce Line Trail, Crow River craft rentals…”
- “I would say, “What isn’t there to do in Hutch?” We’ve brought in some great shops downtown, parks, biking, and park & rec activities. You can explore the Chamber website where all of the activities are posted for the community!”
- “There’s a lot to do in Hutchinson, especially if you get involved. I’ve had friends visit Hutchinson that are surprised by the amount of things going on around town. We also have great events going on throughout the year – RiverSong, Arts and Crafts Festival, Garlic Festival, the Fair to name a few. There’s also a lot to do when it comes to fitness – from kayaking on the river, to the community run, and the organized bike rides to the new fitness park at Rotary Park.”
- “Depending on the time of year, what’s happening at the county fairgrounds? There is ALWAYS something going on out there.”
- “There is always something to do along the Luce Line along the Crow River; you can bike, walk, run, or rollerblade and now with water rentals, and pieces of the Art Stroll there is something to see all along the trail.”
- Hutchinson has more than 30 parks with many family friendly activities. We also have bowling, mini golf, regular golf, Area 22 (paint ball) watch the local baseball team, free Music in the Park, visit the winery. Really? I could go on…..”
We all have our favorite thing(s) to do in Hutchinson, so do visitors, and we have many, many visitors in Hutchinson! Tourism efforts are year round, to BRING people to Hutchinson. Some come for sports, events, family functions, shopping events, and just because there is #MuchInHutch.