My body is physically in October, but my brain thinks it should be May. Do you feel misplaced too?
Recently at a conference, Jennifer Hellman of Goff Public noted some changes in most of us humans due to Covid.
- We are all socially awkward now. I laughed. How could that be true? I love people! Oh wait… do you hug, do you not hug? Someone comes in for a handshake, and should I take my hand sanitizer out now, or later? Yep, I’m socially awkward now also.
- Isolation has made us hyper sensitive and over vigilant. The sounds I am making right now sound like I am walking on hot coals… oo, ah, who, wow…. Yep… I can see where she is coming from.
- We, in general, are indecisive, because we may be waiting for a grant that may or may not come, the election may change things, this “thing” could go away, or any myriad of things- see over-vigilant above.
In a time where we have so many unknowns, let’s focus on what we know to be true and real.
Focus Items to consider for the immediate future to help you during this time:
- Post or do something to drive people into your business in the next five days.
- Create a takeaway for every sale you have in person. A simple note thanking them for shopping locally, or specifically at your business.
- Send a thank you note to a vendor for their extra effort in helping you and your business.
- Send a postcard mailing with a special offer coming up, or remind them of Small Business Saturday, November 28. Oh, and by the way, every day is Small Business Day.
- Remember your livelihood is essential. You matter. I believe in you!
- Invite a friend, mentor, or family member for coffee. Just chat and fill your bucket.
- Send a note to another business person and let them know you appreciate them.
- Go for a walk, even if it is around the block.
- Everyday, write three things you are grateful for.
You probably can think of other things to bring a little more intentionality to your immediate future.
So yes, the leaves are changing, the air is crisper and there is pumpkin spice macaroni and cheese. But also, we can think about taking care of ourselves, flipping the calendar to a new month, AND, intentionally taking small steps toward focusing on what is factual and real for each of us.
Thank you for all YOU do in our community to support others. We see what you are doing. YOU make it #MuchInHutch!